Student Intern - MercyOne North Outpatient Pharmacy - PRN (Varied)
Company: Mercy Medical Center
Posted on: May 11, 2020
Position Type: PRN
Scheduled Hours per 2 week Pay Period: 0
Primary Location: IA > ANKENY > MERCY NORTH
GENERAL SUMMARY : Provides technical support in the delivery of
pharmaceutical care to clients of Mercy Medical Center's Outpatient
(retail) Pharmacies, including the preparation and delivery of
medications, review of charts for specific information/audits,
stocking and ordering of drugs and other products. Performs
technical work and tasks allowable by Iowa law for a Pharmacy
Intern under the supervision of a licensed pharmacist. ESSENTIAL
- Prepares patient drug orders as follows (with proper checks
performed by a pharmacist as required by law): enters patient
prescription orders into the computer; selects correct medication,
strength and dosage form; prepares labels; selects and affixes
auxiliary labels to medications as appropriate and legally
required; counts, measures, weighs & pours medications; documents
doses dispensed; and files medication orders.
- Cleans counters, medication drawers, carts, shelves, and
equipment as needed.
- Assists the pharmacists with audits (e.g. allergy, weight,
- Enters and fills stock bags and fills stock requisitions for
- Accurately processes and restocks medications for departments
utilizing automated dispensing systems, i.e. Pyxis/Acudose
- Performs a variety of medication inventory-related tasks
including: communication of stock utilization and ordering needs;
assisting with reordering; checking of expiration dating with
alerts to pharmacists when needed; and rotating and
- Compounds and labels extemporaneous liquid and solid products
for patients according to procedure.
- Answers telephone and process requests according to
- Participates in the training of new technicians.
- Charges and credits individual patient accounts.
- Accurately and efficiently waits on patients at the POS
register and handles sale transactions.
- Enters patient prescription orders into the computer.
- Prepares prescription product for checking by the pharmacist,
including labeling appropriately.
- Performs patient counseling related to medication use
including, but not limited to, discussion of drug names, strengths,
doses, and possible side-effects
- Manages third party billing.
- Assists with inventory and ordering of pharmaceuticals.
- Assists pharmacists and management team in patient-specific
clinical information gathering & departmental projects.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED :
- High school diploma or GED.
- Current enrollment in a pharmacy school or program.
- Must be registered as a pharmacy intern with the State of Iowa
at the time of hire. #missioncritical Additional Information
- Requisition ID: 2020-R
- Schedule: Part-time
- Market: Mercy Medical Center
Keywords: Mercy Medical Center, Ankeny , Student Intern - MercyOne North Outpatient Pharmacy - PRN (Varied), Healthcare , Ankeny, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!