Assistant Manager Perishables - Full Time
Posted on: September 14, 2019
Job Title: Assistant Manager, Perishables FLSA: Non-Exempt
Department: Grocery Revision Date: 09/2017
Supervises and coordinates the activities of employees. Ensures
that customer's needs are met.
Accountable and Reports to:
Store Director; Assistant Director, Perishables, Operations, Health
All positions except those listed above or designated by the Store
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintains a positive attitude; creates an atmosphere of
friendliness and fun through flexibility and teamwork. Generates a
friendly atmosphere by encouraging employees to greet and speak to
customers; providing prompt, courteous, and efficient service to
customers and sets a good example.
- Provides prompt, efficient and friendly customer service by
exhibiting caring, concern and patience in all customer
interactions and treating customers as the most important people in
- Smiles and greets customers in a friendly manner, whether the
encounter takes place in the employee's designated department or
elsewhere in the store.
- Makes an effort to learn customers' names and to address them
by name whenever possible.
- Assists customers by: (examples include)
- escorting them to the products they're looking for
- securing products that are out of reach
- loading or unloading heavy items
- making note of and passing along customer suggestions or
- performing other tasks in every way possible to enhance the
- Answers the telephone promptly and provides friendly, helpful
service to customers who call.
- Responsible for perpetuating the fundamental values of the
Hy-Vee culture. This involves: honesty; integrity; friendliness,
and caring for customers and employees; demonstrates sincerity,
respect, and high levels of ethics and morals; dedicated to proving
the best products and values; shares information; being fair in how
customers, suppliers and employees are treated; demonstrates good
manners; shows dignity; and is involved in helping the company
improve and grow.
- Oversees proper training, handles employee issues, and
coordinates disciplinary procedures when necessary.
- Assists management in determining specific pricing and
- Determines location of ad and promotional displays, ensures
product quality and quantities to meet customer and store demands
- Ensures the store standards for customers service, employee
relations, and overall departmental profitability are met.
- Ensures compliance with store accounting procedures and reports
- Oversees building/ground maintenance and all store sanitation
and cleanliness to ensure they meet with the store directors and
- Uses and understands all hardware and software technology in
- Assists in forecasting and reviewing the store labor schedule
with the store directors guidelines.
- Evaluates employee performance to recommend personnel actions
in their respective area such as promotion, transfer, or
- Trains and enforces safety procedures to provide a safe and
healthy work environment for employees and customers and fills out
customer accident forms. Works safely to prevent on-the-job
injuries, fills out first report of injury, and assigns duties
according to restrictions.
- Directs the ordering of merchandise in their respective
- Coordinates compliance of employees with established
policy/law, security, sales, and record keeping procedures and
- Assists with replenishing shelf product, designs and constructs
- Confers with employees and assists in solving problems
affecting job duties, productivity, and of established policies and
- Adheres to company policies and individual store
- Reports to work when scheduled and works expected number of
Secondary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Determines the motivational needs of employees and provides the
- Recruits and interviews job applicants to recommend or
determine employment, and may be involved with the coordination of
- Stays current with market trends and information (i.e.;
competition, new products, equipment, and merchandising
- Provides continuous education for existing store employees
regarding new and updated company and store policies, procedures,
and job duties.
- Recommends additions, deletions and shelf allocation of
merchandise to be sold in any department.
- Pursues retail educational opportunities and continuing
education whenever possible.
- Assists in all areas of the store as needed.
- Works with department heads and other designated personnel
regarding schedules, labor issues, product purchasing, and
merchandising to meet their specific goals.
- Sells merchandise to company employees, customers or issues
merchandise upon requisition by authorized personnel (inter-store
transfers). Handles cash registers.
- Performs other job-related duties and special projects as
Instructing, assigning work, reviewing work, planning the work of
others, maintaining standards, allocating personnel, and
coordinating the activities of others. Assists with selecting new
employees and acts on employee problems. Has the authority to
recommend and approve employee transfers, promotions, discipline,
discharge, and salary adjustments.
Education and Experience:
High School or equivalent experience. One year or more of retail
experience including performing the duties of an Assistant
- Must be able to physically perform medium work: exerting up to
50 pounds of force occasionally and 20 pounds of force frequently,
and 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Visual requirements include vision from less than 20 inches to
more than 20 feet with or without correction, depth perception,
color vision, and field of vision.
- Must be able to perform the following physical activities:
Climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, reaching, standing,
walking, pulling, lifting, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, and
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Worker Characteristics:
- Must have the ability to solve practical problems; variety of
variables with limited standardization; interpret
- Ability to do arithmetic calculations involving fractions,
decimals, and percentages.
- Possess the ability to interview to obtain basic information;
guide people to provide basic direction; follow technical manuals
and have increased contact with people.
This position is exposed to dust, noise, and temperature extremes.
There are possible equipment movement hazards; electrical shock,
and exposure to chemicals and solvents. This is a fast paced work
Equipment Used to Perform Job:
Pallet jack, box cutter, cash registers, knives, trash compactor,
cardboard baler, fork lift, computer, calculator, telephone, FAX
machine, two wheeler, register computer, ordering machine, use of
limited power equipment, delivery vehicle, related store
Authorized to purchase merchandise and supplies and order repairs
Has daily contact with customers, employees, suppliers/vendors, and
the general public. Occasional contact with federal or state
regulatory agencies regarding inspections.
Has access to confidential information, which may include pricing,
sales reports, profit and loss reports, and wages.
Keywords: Hy-Vee, Ankeny , Assistant Manager Perishables - Full Time, Executive , Ankeny, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!