Market Grille General Manager - Full Time
Posted on: August 14, 2019
Job Title: General Manager FLSA: Non-Exempt
Department: Market Grille Revision Date: 05/2019
The General Manager will plan, organize, direct, and coordinate the
workers and resources of Market Grilles for the efficient,
well-prepared, and profitable service of food and beverages.
Accountable and Reports to: Vice President, Market Grille
AVP, Market Grille
Restaurant Director(s), Market Grille
Restaurant Trainer(s), Market Grille
Direct Reports: Kitchen Manager, Assistant
GM (all FOH and BOH Managers), All restaurant staff
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintains a positive attitude; creates an atmosphere of
friendliness and fun through flexibility and teamwork. Generates a
friendly atmosphere by encouraging employees to greet and speak to
guests; providing prompt, courteous, and efficient service to
guests and sets a good example.
- Sets the department standards for customer service, employee
relations, cleanliness, sanitation, professional appearance, recipe
adhearance, and overall profitability.
- Smiles and greets guests in a friendly manner throughout the
- Makes an effort to learn guests' names and to address them by
name whenever possible.
- Answers the telephone promptly and provides friendly, helpful
service to guests who call including taking product orders.
- Works with chefs for efficient provisioning and purchasing of
supplies. Projects and controls food and beverage costs. Supervises
portion control and quantities of preparation to minimize waste.
Performs frequent checks to ensure consistent high quality of
preparation and service.
- Analyzes weekly and monthly sales and trends and compares to
actuals. Works with other management personnel to plan and executes
marketing, advertising, and any special restaurant functions.
- Monitors actions of staff and guests to ensure that health and
safety standards and liquor regulations are obeyed.
- Maintains budget and employee records and monitors bookkeeping
- Investigates and resolves complaints concerning food quality
- Arranges for maintenance and repair of equipment and other
- Figures retail merchandise pricing and ensures correct
- Directs hiring, training, and scheduling of food service
- Enforces sanitary practices for food handling, general
cleanliness, and maintenance of kitchen and dining areas.
- Complies with all health and safety regulations.
- Conducts inventory of the department.
- Plans displays, promotions, and determines pre-orders.
- Monitors food preparation and methods.
- Understands and troubleshoots equipment and ensures maintenance
- Maintains strict adherence to department and company guidelines
related to personal hygiene and dress.
- Adheres to company policies and individual store
- Reports to work when scheduled and on time.
- Forecasts sales for accurate ordering and scheduling.
- Oversees department schedules that are written and executed
according to volume.
- Writes and adheres to a yearly budget.
- Manages all financial aspects of the business.
- Monitors and manages cash accountability and accounting
Secondary Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensures pricing is competitive in the market area
- Attends meetings and seminars and participates in continuing
- Unloads trucks, checks in delivered merchandise and places
product in appropriate storage area
- Performs departmental duties as needed
- Assists in all areas of store as needed
- Performs other job related duties and special projects as
- If you are in the grocery store, assists customers by:
- escorting them to the products they're looking for
- securing products that are out of reach
- loading or unloading heavy items
- making note of and passing along customer suggestions or
- performing other tasks in every way possible to enhance the
Instructs, assigns, reviews and plans work of others. Maintains
standards, coordinates activities, allocates personnel, acts on
employee problems, and selects new employees.
Education and Experience
A combination of practical experience and education will be
considered as an alternate. Two to four years of related work
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Worker Characteristics
- Must have the ability to solve practical problems; variety of
variables with limited standardization; interpret
- Ability to do arithmetic calculations involving fractions,
decimals, and percentages.
- Possesses the ability to compose original correspondence;
interprets written work instructions; interviews job applicants;
follows technical manuals and has increased contact with
- Demonstrates leadership qualities/skills.
- Ability to interpret and manage recipes to ensure compliance
and minimize waste
- Ability to spot problems and resolve them quickly and
efficiently, maintain a level head, and delegate many kitchen tasks
- Maintains impeccable personal hygiene; high work and safety
standards; sets an example for the remainder of staff
- Ability to manage in a diverse environment with focus on client
and guest service.
- Excellent attention to detail
- Demonstrates track record of creativity, training, cost
controls and understands the intricacies of running day to day very
busy, uncompromising kitchens
- Strong passion for culinary excellence, bar knowledge and
- Proven ability to develop team - strong leadership and
- Knowledge of systems, methods and processes that contribute to
- Stable job history which demonstrates upward career
This position is frequently exposed to a cool environment,
dampness, noise from equipment, and vibrations from some equipment.
There are possible equipment movement hazards from slicers and
choppers. There is daily exposure to cleaning chemicals and
solvents. This is a fast paced work environment.
Equipment Used to Perform Job
Cash register, fryers, ovens, stoves, grills, toasters, can opener,
griddle, chargrill, slicer, delivery van, refrigerated food prep
case, thermometers, knives, dishwasher, ice machine, coffee maker,
scales, pop machine, calculator, computer, steamer, fax, copier,
bar equipment and restaurant point of sale system.
- Must be physically able to exert up to 100 pounds of force
(shared team lifting) occasionally; exert up to 50 pounds of force
frequently; and exert up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move
- Visual requirements include vision from less than 20 inches to
more than 20 feet with or without correction, depth perception,
color vision (ability to identify and distinguish colors), and
field of vision.
- Must be able to perform the following physical activities:
climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, reaching, standing,
walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, feeling, talking,
hearing, and repetitive motions.
Has access to confidential information including, employee
compensation, monthly results, quarterly inventory reports, sales
and profit sheets, and warehouse pricing.
Responsible for company assets including equipment and
Has daily contact with customers, employees, suppliers/vendors, and
the general public. Occasional contact with local, federal or state
regulatory agencies regarding inspections.
Keywords: Hy-Vee, Ankeny , Market Grille General Manager - Full Time, Executive , Ankeny, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!